Wednesday, July 2, 2014

5 Classics I've Read & 5 Classics I Want To Read

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by The Broke and Bookish.

This week, it's all about classics! We were given the choice to choose between Top Ten Favourite Classics and Top Ten Classics I Want to Read and since I couldn't decide between the two, I decided to do them both and have five of each!

Coming up with five classics that I've read was actually extremely hard, which made me a bit disappointed. I'd like to think I've read more classics than just five because I do want to push myself to read more and step outside of my usual YA. But most of these books I didn't even read voluntarily, they were for school! At least the good thing about being on break is that I have a lot of time to do things like read classics!


One of my favourite books of all time! Words can't even explain how much I adore this book. It's just so good and if you're a book lover, you should DEFINITELY read this. You'll be able to relate to Anne so much! And Gilbert. That boy is just the best, especially in the later books!

I read this one for school and hey, I actually ended up really liking it! It was one of those books that maybe didn't have the greatest or most interesting plot but was great because of the set of ideas it offered. Aldous Huxley presented us with a world that I truly found really thought-provoking.

This was my most recent read and I did also read this for school. I found my reaction to this book to be quite similar to the one I had to Brave New World. It wasn't a super exciting book to read (I think I enjoyed  reading Brave New World a bit more) but once I had finished, I liked it a lot more because I could see the satire and the irony in it. Not that I totally get everything because often, I think Vonnegut's humour here is a bit too wry for me to see through it. I liked what I did gather though and it was interesting to see what Vonnegut's outlook on topics like religion through the book.

This was a childhood classic for me. My nana absolutely loved this book when she was younger and passed it on to me when I was about seven. I remember sitting down and taking turns reading it with my mum. The details are a bit fuzzy but the memories are still there and they were great!

I read this one a while back too. I think I read the abridged version first when I was about eight or so and then the unabridged when I was eleven or twelve. I'm fairly certain I didn't gather anything from this book other than the general storyline but I remember I did actually enjoy the plot. I think I'm bound for a reread of this soon but apparently they're filming a movie adaptation of this book soon? So maybe I'll go see the film and then reread it!


I have quite an extensive list of classics I want to read that I created two weeks ago. I figured since it was summer break and I had all this time to spare, I would get down to reading some more classics! Here are five off of my list.


I know a bunch of people who've read this and really enjoyed it. I feel like it'd be really tough to get through but I'm still interested in this book!

1984 draws a lot of comparisons to Brave New World and vice versa. Having read Brave New World, I think I should read 1984 as well. The two dystopian societies portrayed in the two books are rather opposite and it's been debated for a while now which one is more likely to happen and I'd like to read and see what I think!

I don't really know what else to say here except that I feel like I SHOULD read The Bell Jar. 

I'm getting Rebecca vibes from Wuthering Heights which is not a bad thing because I really enjoyed what I read of Rebecca. This is Bella Swan's favourite book and I know it's a favourite of many others as well so I definitely want to read it.

I love gothic books and this one just sounds so good. I've been meaning to read this book for ages, ever since I watched a documentary about it a few years back, and I've told myself, "You're going to do it this summer!"


That concludes my list of 5 classics I've read and 5 classics I want to read. Have you read any of the books on this list? Tell me your thoughts, I'm curious to know! And are there any other classics you think I should read? Also, feel free to link your list if you made one!

No comments :

Post a Comment